Cloth of Gold & Haberdashery Ltd is committed to ensuring that your privacy is protected. Should we ask you to provide certain information by which you can be identified when using this website or placing orders via instore, then you can be assured that it will only be used in accordance with this privacy statement.
Cloth of Gold & Haberdashery Ltd may change this policy from time to time by updating this page. You should check this page from time to time to ensure that you are happy with any changes.
Cloth of Gold & Haberdashery Ltd do not share information with any third parties unless this is under a lawful basis to fulfil your order with suppliers.
Payments are encrypted via Paymentsense and card details are not saved. If a card number is given over the telephone by a customer in order to take immediate manual payment not via the secure site then the details are physically shredded at that point.
What we collect
We may collect the following information:
- Name and payment details
- Contact information including email address
- Postal address for delivery of goods and services
- Demographic information such as postcode, preferences and interests
- Other information relevant to customer surveys and/or offers
- Your social media username, if you interact with us through those channels, to help us respond to your comments, questions or feedback
When we collect data
- When you visit our website or social media accounts, and use your account to buy products and services, or redeem vouchers on the phone, in shop or online
- When you make an online purchase and check out as a guest (in which case we just collect transaction-based data)
- When you create an account with us
- When you shop online, we capture information through cookies and similar technologies, you can manage these when you visit our site.
- When you purchase a product or service in store or by phone but don’t have (or don’t use) an account.
- When you engage with us on social media.
- When you join a loyalty programme
- When you purchase a sewing machine or accessory offering guarantees and warranties
- When you use our service centre for repairs or maintenance
- When you book any of our classes – where details will be shared with the Tutor
- When you contact us by any means with queries, complaints etc.
- When you ask us to email you information about a product or service
- When you enter prize draws or competitions
- When you book any kind of appointment with us or book to attend an event or class.
- When you choose to complete any surveys we send you.
- When you comment on or review our products and services Any individual may access personal data related to them, including opinions. So, if your comment or review includes information about a member of staff or independent contractor who provided that service, it may be passed on to them if requested.
- When you fill in any forms. For example, if an accident happens in store, we may collect your personal data.
- When you’ve given a third party permission to share with us the information they hold about you.
- When our electronic payments provider, Paymentsense share information with us about the transaction used to purchase a product or service
- When you use our shop we have CCTV systems operated for the security of both customers, staff and owners. These systems may record your image during your visit.
- When you purchase an extended warranty policy we will collect personal data to pass to the insurer in order to manage your policy.
What we do with the information we gather
We require this information to understand your needs and provide you with a better service, and in particular for the following reasons:
- To process your order and obtain payment
- Internal record keeping
- We may use the information to improve our products and services
- We may periodically send promotional emails about new products, special offers or other information which we think you may find interesting using the email address which you have provided
- From time to time, we may also use your information to contact you for market research purposes. We may contact you by email, phone, text, or mail. We may use the information to customise the website according to your interests
- The data privacy law allows this as part of our legitimate interest in understanding our customers and providing the highest levels of service
- If you choose not to share your personal data with us, or refuse certain contact permissions, we might not be able to provide some services you’ve asked for.
- Your details may need to be passed to a trusted third party to supply or deliver the product or service that you ordered, and we may keep your details for a reasonable period afterwards in order to fulfil any contractual obligations such as refunds, guarantees and so on.
- To send you email notifications when you place a product in your basket and you abandon your browsing before completing your checkout. We do this based on our legitimate interest.
- To protect our business and your account from fraud and other illegal activities. This includes using your personal data to maintain, update and safeguard your account. We’ll also monitor your browsing activity with us to quickly identify and resolve any problems and protect the integrity of our websites. We’ll do all of this as part of our legitimate interest.
- If we discover any criminal activity or alleged criminal activity through our use of CCTV, fraud monitoring and suspicious transaction monitoring, we will process this data for the purposes of preventing or detecting unlawful acts. We aim is to protect the individuals we interact with from criminal activities
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure, we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online.
A cookie is a small file which asks permission to be placed on your computer's hard drive. Once you agree, the file is added and the cookie helps analyse web traffic or lets you know when you visit a particular site. Cookies allow web applications to respond to you as an individual. The web application can tailor its operations to your needs, likes and dislikes by gathering and remembering information about your preferences.
We use traffic log cookies to identify which pages are being used. This helps us analyse data about web page traffic and improve our website in order to tailor it to customer needs. We only use this information for statistical analysis purposes and then the data is removed from the system.
Overall, cookies help us provide you with a better website, by enabling us to monitor which pages you find useful and which you do not. A cookie in no way gives us access to your computer or any information about you, other than the data you choose to share with us.
You can choose to accept or decline cookies. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies if you prefer. This may prevent you from taking full advantage of the website.
Links to other websites
Our website may contain links to other websites of interest. However, once you have used these links to leave our site, you should note that we do not have any control over that other website. Therefore, we cannot be responsible for the protection and privacy of any information which you provide whilst visiting such sites and such sites are not governed by this privacy statement. You should exercise caution and look at the privacy statement applicable to the website in question.
Data aggregation, analytics and profile creation
We may analyse your browsing behaviour to draw inferences and create profiles about your personal preferences and behaviours. We may then use such information for the purposes described below;
Behavioural advertising and cross platform targeting
(a) Served by us
We may use your information (including profile data) to serve you with advertising, which is relevant to you, on our websites and the websites of third parties.
(b) Served by third parties on our websites
(c) Served by third parties on third party websites
We may provide your personal information (including profile data) to third parties who may then use it in combination with personal information that they have collected from you to serve you with relevant advertising on third party websites.
Controlling your personal information
You may choose to restrict the collection or use of your personal information in the following ways:
- Whenever you are asked to fill in a form on the website, look for the box that you can click to indicate that you do not want the information to be used by anybody for direct marketing purposes
- If you have previously agreed to us using your personal information for direct marketing purposes, you may change your mind at any time by writing to or emailing us
We will not sell, distribute or lease your personal information to third parties unless we have your permission or are required by law to do so. We may use your personal information to send you promotional information about third parties which we think you may find interesting if you tell us that you wish this to happen.
You may request details of personal information which we hold about you under the Data Protection Act 1998. If you would like a copy of the information held on you please write to us.
If you believe that any information we are holding on you is incorrect or incomplete, please write to us at 126 High Street, Royal Wootton Basset SN4 7AU or email us at [email protected] as soon as possible. We will promptly correct any information found to be incorrect.
How long do we keep your personal data for?
Your information will be kept in a form which permits identification of data subjects for no longer than is deemed necessary.
Some examples of customer data retention periods:
Orders - When you place an order, we’ll keep the personal data you give us for six years so we can comply with our legal and contractual obligations.
Warranties - If your order included a warranty, the associated personal data will be kept until the end of the warranty period.
You have the right to request:
- Access to the personal data we hold about you, free of charge in most cases.
- The correction of your personal data when incorrect, out of date or incomplete.
- The deletion of the data we hold about you, in specific circumstances; for example, when you withdraw consent or object, and we have no legitimate overriding interest, or once the purpose for which we hold the data has come to an end (such as the end of a warranty).
- A computer file in a common format (CSV or similar) containing the personal data that you have previously provided to us, and the right to have your information transferred to another entity where this is technically possible.
- Restriction of the use of your personal data, in specific circumstances, generally while we are deciding on an objection you have made.
- That we stop processing your personal data, in specific circumstances; for example, when you have withdrawn consent, or object for reasons related to your individual circumstances.
- That we stop using your personal data for direct marketing (either through specific channels, or all channels).
- That we stop any consent-based processing of your personal data after you withdraw that consent.
You can contact us to request to exercise these rights at any time by writing to us at 126 High Street, Royal Wootton Basset SN4 7AU or email us at [email protected]
If we choose not to action your request, we will explain the reasons for our refusal.
Your right to withdraw consent
- Whenever you have given us your consent to use your personal data, you have the right to change your mind at any time and withdraw that consent.
- In cases where we are processing your personal data on the basis of our legitimate interest, you can ask us to stop for reasons connected to your individual situation. We must then do so unless we believe we have a legitimate overriding reason to continue processing your personal data, such as administration of an extended warranty.
- You have the right to stop the use of your personal data for direct marketing activity through all channels, or selected channels. We must always comply with your request.
Checking your identity
To protect the confidentiality of your information, we will ask you to verify your identity before proceeding with any request you make under this Privacy Notice.
If you have authorised a third party to submit a request on your behalf, we will ask them to prove they have your permission
About our registrations
If you feel that your data has not been handled correctly, or you are unhappy with our response to any requests you have made to us regarding the use of your personal data, you have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office.
You can contact them by calling 0303 123 1113.
Or go online to www.ico.org.uk/concerns
ICO Registration for Cloth of Gold & haberdashery Ltd: ZA772457
Registered Office: Tally House, Main Road, Christian Malford, Chippenham SN15 4BT
Registered in England, Company Number: 12660327